A letter to someone who takes you for granted

Woman in Purple Sweater Sitting on Wooden Floor With View of Lake and Mountains


My Dearest,

I always wondered, why don't people feel the need to tell you that they love you, or care for you, that you mean something to them. I don’t know why people feel it’s not important to show you that you are valued, that your opinion matters, and feelings considered.

Why do people feel that you will be okay if they miss your call and forget to call you back. Or why people feel everybody needs to be treated equally, nobody deserves special attention.

I feel the world is divided between two kinds of people, ones who feel the need to show they love and others who don’t.

Showing love? How do you do that?

Is it by sending romantic messages or simply texting someone asking how was your day?  
Is it done by planning an exotic holiday or  just by being thoughtful?
Is love meant to be shown to the only one person who is bound in contract of marriage? Or is it supposed to be expressed to everyone you love – your mother, father, teacher, mentor, friend, best friend, sister, brother, niece, nephew.

I am have these strange ideas of love, and the way I love is different from the way you say you do.
Why is you loving me not equivalent to you being nice to me? Why is that I am suppose to understand you love me when you don’t show me at all, either with words, nor through actions.

No I am not needy. I just need assurance that I am valued.  
Neither do I expect too much, like you say.
I don’t stop asking you 'how you day was' everyday, even when you don’t think it’s important to reply to my messages some days. I am okay with your friends not knowing that I exist, when all my friends know you. I am okay when you hang up on me while we speak, because you got another call, and you forget to call back. 

While I make sure I say 'thank you' to the cab driver when I get off his cab, but you don’t say thank you at all to me. Even though I feel so insignificant in your life I will not leave, because more than your love (or respect), I love being in love with you; and I know there is nothing to lose. The day I decide to walk away from you and to love someone else, it will not be hard.  You coldness has made me independent of you. But I still stick around, because I know you will not be used to not having me around.  

Funny thing is, even when I write this letter to you, I will never post it to you. I am not sure what scares me the most, whether you will read my mail and assume this is another attempt of seeking your attention and dismiss me or you will actually feel bad that I feel this way. Either ways, I will be the one feeling more hurt.

Truely Yours
Daughter/ Friend/ Brother/ wife/ Husband/Mother


..............................................................................................................................................................
Disclaimer!!!

This a piece of fiction, It's actually inspired by a conversation between a mother and daughter from my recent favourtite show. Yes teenage daughter writes this letter to her workaholic mother.
Whatever the relationship, I think the feeling is the same.
feel free to copy the bits of this post if you want to convey this message to someone..

Comments

Popular Posts